Awhile back, almost every gentoo / gnome computer I built would do this wonderful thing called "auto-mounting" all devices plugged in via USB.
Well, I really didn't know what or how this was done until it started not doing it any more.
So, I went over to my brother's house armed with a determination to figure this stuff out, and I'll be darned if we didn't figure it out (sort of)
Here's what I found out (which may or may not be correct in any way shape or fashion, but what happened, definitely happened)
- I started NFS, which in turn started some other processes, one of which was portmap and others.
- I had an entry in fstab which mounted the usb device to a directory. This was hindering the auto-mounting process! Don't have the entry in fstab.
- I removed the entry in fstab, plugged in the usb device, and shazam! A window popped up with the files contained in the device.
So, I guess I did something right. I still have no idea as to the technical details of exactly what caused what, but now it's working, and I thought I'd write it down so in a year when the same problem happens, I can refer back to this.
Hope it helps someone else.