This was a good chapter. Starts out stating that worthiness is necessary in order for baptism into the Lord's church:
- bringing forth fruit of worthiness (not entirely sure what this means, specifically)
- having a broken heart and contrite spirit, showing a witness of true repentance
- taking upon yourself the name of Christ.
- having a determination to serve Him unto the end.
Nice list for baptism...
Now for the next part, which doesn't have to do with the baptizee - it has to do with the baptizer and the church.
"and their names were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way, to keep them continually watchful unto prayer, relying alone upon the merits of Christ, who was the author and the finisher of their faith."
I had to read this 3 or 4 times (I'm feeling a bit tired today) to understand this, but I believe this is referring to the church - and it is quite specific in what the church needs to do to help and nuture new (and old) members.. This is what the church (me and you) needs to do to help new members (and old members... kind of a "help everyone" thing), but I was kind of surprised at the specificity with which the revelation was received. We need to:
- remember them
- nourish them with the good word of God
- keep them in the right way (by nourishing them)
- make sure they are *continually* watchful unto prayer
- make sure they know they need to rely alone upon the merits of Christ for salvation.
Very interesting what ya run in to when you really study the words of the scriptures.
Verse 7 seemed extraordinarily harsh when I read it at first. Upon further reading, I realized that the harshness only applies to people who are not willing to confess, and who are un-repentant. Everyone else deserves forgiveness, which, quite to the contrary, doesn't seem harsh at all.
...I love verse 9, which coincides perfectly with D&C 46:1-2. While teaching, and directing meetings, the Spirit is the single most important part of it all. If I prepared lesson A, and half-way through presenting, the Spirit directs me to give lesson B, or even lesson "I have no idea where this is going", then we are to submit ourselves to the whisperings of the Spirit, period.
While this chapter only had 9 verses, they certainly were packed with goodness. I love the scriptures!